Keto diet is a high fat, moderate protein and a low carb diet. Following a well balanced keto diet switches your body to a fat metabolism state by limiting the availability of glucose in the system. In the ketogenic diet, meals usually consist of a variety of poultry, fish, meat, and non-starchy vegetables.
Lets see the impact of keto diet in improving immunity:
- Keto diet protects us from influenza flu : The research from science immunology journal suggests that, following a keto diet provides protection against the lethal influenza infection.The ketogenic diet promotes the expansion of gamma delta T (γδ T) cells in the airways. These γδ T cells produce mucus in the linings of the lungs, which aids the body to get rid of infectious agents and also blocks the formation of inflammasomes, which can cause deleterious immune system responses
- The ketogenic diet enhances immunity against malignant glioma: The research published in BMC cancer journal suggests that following a keto diet can increase the tumor-reactive innate and adaptive immune responses to help fight cancer causing agents.
- Ketogenic diet positively affects immune cells: The study published in Nature Reviews Endocrinology suggests that ketogenic diet helps reduce inflammation and enhances metabolic outcomes.Following keto diet for 3-4 months shows the increased Gamma delta T calls which are metabolically protective against Autistic behaviour and overall metabolic functions of the body.
- Decreases Fat Mass : Obesity has been identified as a risk factor for diabetic patienst and even COVID-19 hospitalization in patients under 60, This means that the COVID-19 infection tends to be more severe in obese individuals. When you consume more calories than you burn, your body stores those calories for a rainy day. This is a vital adaptive ability that has allowed the survival of humanity during times when food was scarce.Following a keto diet can help body use stored fat as its energy source for all the bodily function, hence reducing the accumulated fat and improving metabolism by boosting immunity to fight against pathogens and certain virus including covid- 19
- The Ketogenic Diet appears to decrease inflammation as evidenced by improving inflammatory markers
- This anti-inflammatory effect may boost the immune system by removing the burden of systemic chronic inflammation
- The anti-inflammatory effects appear to be enhanced by choosing foods consistent with Keto diet.
- The Ketogenic Diet is effective at reducing obesity which decreases inflammation and improves immunity and decreases risk and severity of infection