Guide to Low carb Diet : Everything you should know before you get started
A low-carb diet is a diet that restricts carbohydrates, such as those found in sugary foods, pasta and bread. It is high in protein, fat and healthy vegetables.Many studies show us that the low carb diet or a ketogenic diet helps improve overall health as they cause fat loss. Low-carb diets offer a potential cure for some of the world’s biggest health problems, including obesity and type 2 diabetes. This is well supported by science.
Let's look at the detailed Low carb diet, also explaining what to eat and what to avoid
Must know about a low carb diet :
Your food choices depend on a few things, including how healthy you are, level of physical activity and how much weight you have to lose.
What to Eat:
Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, high-fat dairy, fats, healthy oils and maybe even some tubers and non-gluten grains.
What not to Eat:
Sugar,HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) wheat, seed oils, trans fats, “diet” and low-fat products and highly processed foods.
Foods to Avoid in a low carb or a ketogenic diet
You should avoid these six food groups and nutrients, in order of importance:
- Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, agave, candy, ice cream and many other products that contain added sugar.
- Refined grains: Wheat, rice, barley and rye, as well as bread, cereal and pasta.
- Trans fats: Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
- Diet and low-fat products: Many dairy products, cereals or crackers are fat-reduced, but contain added sugar.
- Highly processed foods: If it looks like it was made in a factory, don’t eat it.
- Starchy vegetables: It’s best to limit starchy vegetables in your diet if you’re following a very low-carb diet.
Low Carb Food List — Foods to be included in your diet
You should base your diet on these real, unprocessed, low-carb foods.
- Meat: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken and others; grass-fed is best.
- Fish: Salmon, trout, haddock and many others; wild-caught fish is best.
- Eggs: Omega-3-enriched or pastured eggs are best.
- Vegetables: Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and many others.
- Fruits: Apples, oranges, pears, blueberries, strawberries.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- High-fat dairy: Cheese, butter, heavy cream, yogurt.
- Fats and oils: Coconut oil, butter, lard, olive oil and fish oil.
You can have the following in moderation, if you want:
- Dark chocolate: Choose organic brands with at least 70% of cocoa.
- Wine: Choose dry wines with no added sugar or carbs.
Tips while you eat at Restaurant :
At most restaurants, it’s fairly easy to make your meals low-carb friendly.
- Order a meat- or fish-based main dish.
- Drink plain water instead of sugary soda or fruit juice.
- Get extra vegetables instead of bread, potatoes or rice.
Here are some keto diet tips that are easy to follow:
- Although getting started on the ketogenic diet can be challenging, there are several tips and tricks that you can use to make it easier.
- Start by familiarizing yourself with food labels and checking the grams of fat, carbs, and fiber to determine how your favorite foods can fit into your diet.
- Planning out your meals in advance may also be beneficial and can help you save extra time throughout the week.
- Look into healthy frozen keto meals when you’re short on time
- When going to social gatherings or visiting family and friends, you may also want to consider bringing your own food, which can make it much easier to curb cravings and stick to your meal plan.
Benefits of keto diet
Keto diet has several health benefits backed by numerous researches done across the globe, following a low carb diet plan can help regulate sugar levels, improves brain function and many more.
Let’s discuss some of the main benefits of low carb or a keto diet below :
- Aids weight loss : Keto diet reduces hunger stimulating hormones hence reduces appetite and aids weight loss.
- Acne : has several different causes and may have links to diet and blood sugar in some people. Eating a diet high in processed and refined carbohydrates may alter the balance of gut bacteria and cause blood sugar to rise and fall significantly, both of which can adversely affect skin health. Researchers suggest following a low carb diet helps reduce acne significantly.
- Improves Heart health: When a person follows the keto diet or low carb diet it is important that they choose healthful foods. Some evidence shows that eating healthful fats, such as avocados instead of less healthful fats, can help improve heart health by reducing cholesterol.
- Pcod : There are not many clinical studies on the keto diet or a low carb diet that helps regulate Pcos hormones.The researchers found that following a right proportioned keto diet plan improves several markers of PCOS, including weight loss,hormone balance, ratios of luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH and levels of fasting insulin
keto or a low carb diet plan sample for beginners : Below is a sample keto or a low carb diet plan for beginners. People can tailor these meals and snacks to their liking, but they should be careful not to exceed 50 g of total carbohydrates daily.
Low carb foods for Breakfast:
- Day1 : Egg muffins with Cheddar cheese, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes
- Day 2: Scrambled eggs on a bed of sautéed greens with pumpkin seeds
- Day 3: Smoothie containing almond milk, nut butter, spinach, chia seeds, and protein powder
- Day 4: Scrambled eggs with jalapeños, green onions, and tomatoes sprinkled with sunflower seeds
Low carb foods for Lunch :
- Day 1: Chicken mayonnaise salad with cucumber, avocado, tomato, almonds, and onions
- Day 2: Grilled salmon with a salad of mixed leafy greens and tomatoes.
- Day 3: Avocado and egg salad with onion and spices, served in lettuce cups.
- Day 4: Spiced cauliflower soup with bacon pieces or tofu cubes.
Low carb foods for dinner :
- Day 1: Smoothie with almond milk, nut butter, chia seeds, and spinach
- Day 2: A boiled egg and flax crackers with cheese.
- Day 3: Kale chips slices of cheese and bell peppers.
- Day 4: Sugar-free turkey jerky, and egg and vegetable muffin.